Permits Required

Code Enforcement Office

Herb Snider

4078 SH 3
Star Lake, NY 13690
(315)-848-3121 ext. 307
The Code Enforcement Officer and Planning Board play a major role in preserving the integrity of the Town of Fine neighborhoods, buildings and overall quality of life in the Town. The Planning Board reviews proposed new construction and changes in use by administering the site plan law and policies set forth by the Town Board and has the authority to approve site plans and recommend actions to the Town Board relative to matters of land use.  The Code Enforcement Officer enforces laws and decisions of the Town Board and Planning Board and the State Fire Prevention and Building Code.
The Town code enforcement officer is responsible for enforcement of local regulations pertaining to land use, and the Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, and the Flood Prevention Ordinance.  The code enforcement officer also receives and approves all building permits, and performs inspections on building projects. Additionally, the code enforcement officer is charged performing periodic fire inspections.
Amanda's Law
Carbon monoxide alarm requirements

Amanda's Law requires essentially all residences, both new and existing, to have carbon monoxide alarms installed. The specific requirements differ for new and existing residences and also on when the buildings were built and subcategories of occupancy groups.

Probably the most asked question is the requirement for existing one and two family residences. They are required to have one carbon monoxide alarm installed on the lowest story having a sleeping area.

The proposal to modify the Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, in order to comply with Amanda's Law, is being adopted as an emergency rule. The following link provides the proposed code text and legislation, Amanda's Law.
Hours of Operation:

To set up an appointment, call 315-848-3121 ext 307

Link to Adirondack Park Agency (Jurisdictional Inquiry Form)
This form will begin the review process with the Adirondack Park Agency regarding your proposed project.  You are urged to begin the process as early as possible to limit delays to your project.
When is a permit required?

It is easier to review what items don't need a permit. 


(1) construction or installation of one story detached structures associated with one- or two-family dwellings or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) which are used for tool and storage sheds, playhouses or similar uses, provided the gross floor area does not exceed 144 square feet (13.88 square meters);


(2) installation of swings and other playground equipment associated with a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses);


(3) installation of swimming pools associated with a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) where such pools are designed for a water depth of less than 24 inches and are installed entirely above ground;


(4) installation of fences which are not part of an enclosure surrounding a swimming pool;


(5) construction of retaining walls unless such walls support a surcharge or impound Class I, II or IIIA liquids;


(6) construction of temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery;


(7) installation of window awnings supported by an exterior wall of a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses);


(8) installation of partitions or movable cases less than 5'-9" in height;


(9) painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, or other similar finish work;


(10) installation of listed portable electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation or cooling equipment or appliances;


(11) replacement of any equipment provided the replacement does not alter the equipment's listing or render it inconsistent with the equipment's original specifications; or


(12) repairs, provided that such repairs do not involve (i) the removal or cutting away of a loadbearing wall, partition, or portion thereof, or of any structural beam or load bearing component; (ii) the removal or change of any required means of egress, or the rearrangement of parts of a structure in a manner which affects egress; (iii) the enlargement, alteration, replacement or relocation of any building system; or (iv) the removal from service of all or part of a fire protection system for any period of time.

When Do I need a Site Plan Review?
Certain land uses may require a Site Plan Review in addition to a building permit. To verify whether your proposed use or property requires a Site Plan Review call 315-848-3121 ext 307.
What Must I Submit for a Permit?
Submit a completed building permit application to the Codes Enforcement Officer. Contractor information (insurance certifications) will be needed before the approved plans and permit can be issued. Applications must be accompanied by two complete sets of plans. The plans must show all proposed work and details necessary to verify compliance with building codes, and New York State Health Department Regulations. Plans may not be accepted if they are unclear or lack necessary details. Building permit applications and checklists for commercial or residential projects are available below or at the Town of Fine Municipal Office.
Planning your project, what is required?
You can save yourself a great deal of time and money if your review the general regulations of any project and submit plans that will not need major revisions. Any addition costing over $20,000 or more requires architect stamped plans. If you are planning to build a house over 1,500 sq. ft. and do not want an architect, you may use the prescriptive method and follow the regulations of New York State Residential Code. If you are not familiar with code requirements, seek professional assistance before attempting to apply for a permit. The Code Enforcement Officer can not assist in drafting plans or designing your project.
When may I start work?

No construction or land disturbance is allowed until a permit is issued. After the application and accompanying plans are submitted, it will take about a week to examine and process plans (depending on complexity of the project). Incomplete plans may require revisions and take significantly longer to approve. Plans are reviewed in the order they are received. You will be notified of approval by telephone or mail. You may pick-up your permit card at the Town of Fine Municipal Office. Please post your permit on site and have a set of plans available on the job for review by the code enforcement officer.

When Do I Need an Inspection?
The type and number of inspections needed depend on each individual project. Please review your permit for the inspections you will need. When the work is ready for inspection, the contractor or person responsible for the work to be inspected can schedule an appointment by calling 315-848-3121 ext 106, with the name, location of job and the type of inspection needed.
How Long is a Permit Active?

Once issued, construction must be completed within one year of the issuance date. If work is not complete at the end of one year, the building permit may be renewed for an additional one year period.  If the work is suspended for any six month period the permit will also expire.

What is a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Compliance?
After the final inspection, when it is found that the building or structure complies with all code provisions of the Town of Fine and New York State, the Town of Fine will issue a Certificate of Occupancy. No building or structure may be lawfully used or occupied until the Certificate of Occupancy has been issued. A Certificate of Compliance is issued for activities such as additions, fireplaces, swimming pools, hot tubs, and tool sheds.
Permit Application
Floor Plans
Construction Inspection
© 2018 Town Of Fine, St.Lawrence County